Looking for ways to support local artists and nonprofit workers? Please consider writing a letter to Congress to advocate for the needs of the Akron arts community.
You can visit the Performing Arts Alliance website to personalize their template when sending a message to U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives. PAA asks that you incorporate some of the talking points bulleted below:
- Expand and recapitalize the Paycheck Protection Program resources.
- Fully fund the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program and remove the $1,000/per employee cap.
- Provide streamlined, low-interest forgivable loans to assist micro-businesses.
- Provide loan forgiveness for nonprofits through the Main Street Lending Program and the Economic Stabilization Fund.
- Expand the duration of pandemic unemployment benefits and make eligible gig workers with mixed income.
- Expand access to health coverage and care.
- Approve substantial funding for the National Endowment for the Arts and other cultural agencies for dedicated COVID-19 relief.
- Enact policies to ensure rapid processing of artist visas.
- Support the arts and work of artists as essential infrastructure investments.
- Include the arts sector in consideration of public health and workplace safety policies.
- Ensure the arts are considered in business interruption insurance and liability policy discussions.
This crisis has brought about a tremendous show of loyalty for arts in NE Ohio. Thank you for letting us know how essential we are. Now is the time to make sure Congress knows how you feel.
(Compiled by NWPL ensemble member, Kyra Kelley)
Sources: Performing Arts Alliance, the Coalition of Performing Arts Advocates (https://www.theperformingartsalliance.org)